Area A Economic Development Commission (EDC), is operated by volunteers, it is funded and authorized by the RDCK to be an advisory body to the RDCK and to carry out the following duties for Area A:
- Preparation of economic data, analysis, policies and recommendations within the context of the economic growth objectives of Electoral Area A
- Identification of viable economic opportunities and existing constraints to development
- Promotion and marketing of economic opportunities
- Maximum utilization of financial and employment progress designed to facilitate economic development
- And other such matters as the Commission considers relevant to the promotion and encouragement of economic development within Electoral Area A
The annual net cost attributed to this function shall not exceed an average rate limit of $0.340 per thousand dollars of assessment value. The Commission prepares and submits a proposed annual budget to the Regional board for consideration and approval. For years now the annual budget has been around $30,000 (reflecting the level of activity and community interest).
Area A EDC catchment area extends from the village of Riondel, in the north, to the hamlet of Wynndel, in the south. This area is also known as Wynndel East Shore.
EDC presently has openings for more board members. The EDC can be most effective with a full board. Local residents with an interest in community and economic development, preferably those with a background and skills related to business, are encouraged to voluntarily contribute to the wellbeing of Wynndel East Shore through their joining this local Economic Development Commission.
To find out when the next public meeting is being held go to RDCK website https://rdck.ca/EN/main/government/committees-commissions/area-a-economic-development-commission-edc.html
For more information and to learn more about becoming a board member, please contact Director Garry Jackman at 250-223-8463.
Our EDC is a mechanism to bring out the creativity, intelligence and resources within our community, so that together as a community we can find solutions and act on opportunities.