Economic Development Commission
The Area A Economic Development Commission (EDC) is operated by volunteers. It is funded and authorized by the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) to be an advisory body to the Regional District and carry out the following duties for Area A:
- Preparation of economic data, analysis, policies and recommendations within the context of the economic growth objectives of Electoral Area A
- Identification of viable economic opportunities and existing constraints to development
- Promotion and marketing of economic opportunities
- Maximum utilization of financial and employment progress designed to facilitate economic development
- Address matters as the Commission considers relevant to the promotion and encouragement of economic development within Electoral Area A
The annual net cost attributed to this function shall not exceed an average rate limit of $0.340 per thousand dollars of assessment value. The Commission prepares and submits a proposed annual budget to the RDCK board for consideration and approval. For years now the annual budget has been around $30,000 (reflecting the level of activity and community interest).
EDC catchment for Area A extends from the village of Riondel in the north, to the hamlet of Wynndel in the south. This area is also known as Wynndel-East Shore.
The EDC presently has openings for more board members, and can be most effective with a full board comprised of various stakeholders. Local residents with an interest in community and economic development, preferably those with a background and skills related to business, are encouraged to voluntarily contribute to the well being of the Wynndel-East Shore area through joining the Commission.
To find out when the next public meeting is being held, visit the RDCK website.
For more information and to inquire about Commission positions, please contact Area A Director, Garry Jackman, at 250-223-8463.
Our EDC is a mechanism to bring out the creativity, intelligence and resources within our community, so that together we can find solutions and act on opportunities.